Sunday, September 12, 2010

ahem.



Noun1.ahem - the utterance of a sound similar to clearing the throat; intended to get attention, express hesitancy, fill a pause, hide embarrassment, warn a friend, etc.
utterancevocalization - the use of uttered sounds for auditory communication
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

Yes, I know it's been a long while since I posted, and there is a reason for that. You see, I only post when I feel I have something to say, which hasn't been lately.

Life is good...you know...going along with work, home, the approaching fall and things. But, each time I think about sitting down and writing something, which I LOVE to do, I think to myself, "But what have I done that anyone needs to hear about?" And, probably the answer is: nothing.

Of course, having nothing of substance to say does not stop millions of bloggers from spewing out words each and every day. But, I digress.

I am not all fatalistic in thinking that nothing means anything after being in Haiti, nor am I adjusting poorly (imho) to life back in the states. It's just that by comparison, it is difficult to put the daily events of my life in any sort of perspective with my life in Haiti.

And, that's a struggle for me.

There are still things that I am working on for Haiti, and still reminders that our work there had meaning:


Like this photo of beautiful Marie Ansha knitting! Warens sent this to me last week. What's so meaningful about this one is that she had a tough time learning while I was there. Not learning in general, as she was my most relentless teacher when I was trying to learn Creole, but when it came to knitting, she was having a hard time.

Several times when I went to the orphanage after I had taught the girls, I would see her with some knitting in her hands. I would say, "Did you do that?" She would shake her head no, and say the name of the girl that had done it. But, you see, she was always studying, looking at the other girls' work, and trying to do it.

My joy at seeing this photo can hardly be put into words! This is her work! This means that 3 weeks after I left, instead of just setting aside those knitting needles, she kept working and working until she got it! I am so incredibly proud of her, and of course, you can see the joy in her face!

I also got photos recently of the raised garden boxes that have taken form, and will soon be filled with seeds as the weather begins to cool to a temperature that will allow seeds to grow. And we received updated photos of the wall, which is progressing.

God is good in allowing me to see the progress that has been made since we left, but the joy is bittersweet as it tugs at my heart that I am not there now to help more.

So, please bear with me as I find my voice again. (Ahem.) It's not that there is nothing going on in my life, but that I struggle to find the same meaning in my every day life here. There are things that God is showing me, and it's all good, but it's in His time, and I have never carried around the same pocketwatch that He does.

In the meantime, I go about life working, cooking, cleaning and seeking His will.

Tom and I are preparing to do a presentation next Sunday on our time in Haiti, which will do me good, I think.

In the meantime, I'm just a little quiet, which is always necessary when listening for instructions.

"Be still and know 
that I am God." 
~Psalm 46:10
Peace....

No comments: