Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hi my name is Kati, and I like Starbucks.

I am going to take the next 8 minutes before my baked potato comes out of the oven to post my first ever entry to "women of four13". I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about doing a blog with my mom and sisters, but since there may or may not be coffee in it for me, I am participating...

I am a senior (graduating in less than 3 weeks with only 9 more classes to attend) at Valparaiso University receiving (cross your fingers) a degree for my majors in Art and Humanities. I have done a lot while I've been here at Valpo: given campus tours, led orientation groups, edited the yearbook, joined a sorority (Chi Omega), studied abroad (Germany), DJed a radio show, and made a few friends. Beginning in July, I will be attending the University of Delaware for my Masters in American Material Culture. I have a boyfriend named Kurt who is going to Mizzou next year for his Masters in Journalism.

Valpo is a Lutheran university, so while I haven't been 100% involved in church life while I've been here, it has been available to me and an option I have chosen many times to take part in. The Chapel of the Resurrection at Valpo, if you haven't seen it, is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. I've had the opportunity to cantor (lead by singing) for our weekly Candlelight Service at the Chapel on Sunday nights a few times. Candlelight uses Holden Evening Prayer each week, and cantoring for that service has been one of my favorite experiences in Chapel-life while at Valpo. I know I will miss the campus chapel and the weekly services when I am in Delaware, but I am excited to check out new churches and denominations... I'm not all that sure being Lutheran is for me.

Besides finding a new church, which at this point is in the back of my mind, I have about a million other things coming up that I need to get ready for and do before leaving in July. This is a crazy time, but I am looking forward to the changes and the new experiences coming my way. I am going to need a lot of support from my family and friends, and a big dose of confidence from God to get through this summer!

Until next time...

No comments: