Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A great recipe...and healthy, too!

Good afternoon!

Isn't it great that 2 of the girls posted yesterday?? Sort of a refreshing break from the monotony of my life...

It wasn't a coincidence that they posted. Much like trying to get you to comment, I told them that the first to post would get a Starbucks card from me. It worked for 2/3 of the group! I'm still waiting for more of you to comment, but I believe that I am purchasing Starbucks drinks for Chris, Annemarie and Barb so far...Kristi, there is still room to get one! Get that gmail account going and comment, girlfriend!

I thought I'd post a recipe that I made recently that my family loved! And it's soooo healthy! You are to be warned, however, that it requires "sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ribbons." That took FOREVER! So, my recommendation would be to use your food processor's slicing blade, or a manual slicer. I used my potato peeler. An hour later, there were many, many s. potato ribbons, but I had lost my sense of humor...

This recipe is taken from a fabulous book I purchased a few months ago, but with my house guests, only used  infrequently...but I LOVE it, so I plan to use it more, and wanted to share this recipe with you.

First, the book is called: The Eat-Clean Diet Recharged! by Tosca Reno
I purchased it on Amazon I believe, so here is the link if you'd like to do the same:
http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Clean-Diet-Recharged-Lasting-Better/dp/1552100677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272482117&sr=1-1
It looks like it's in stock and available for $11.66!

Here is the recipe
Colorful Chicken Stir-fry with Sweet Potatoes & Hoisin
I served this over quinoa....very yummy!

Ingredients
2 T roasted sesame oil, divided
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
2 sweet potatoes (you know...peeled and cut into ribbons)
1 large purple onion, peeled and cut into ribbons
1 turnip, peeled and cut into ribbons
1 carrot, peeled and cut into ribbons
1 T fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, put through garlic press
4-5 cups red cabbage, sliced
3 T Hoisin sauce
4 T sesame seeds, toasted
4 scallions, trimmed and chopped on the diagonal

Method
1. Heat 1 T oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken strips until cooked
2. Add more oil if necessary and stir-fry potatoes, onion, turnip and carrot until tender-crisp. Add ginger and garlic, cook 2 minutes more.
3. Add red cabbage and stir-fry until soft, adding more oil if needed
4. Add hoisin sauce and reduce heat. Toss to coat.
5. Divide mixture among four heated service bowls.
Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.

There you have it! If I had been completely on top of it, I would have taken a picture of our meal...alas, no photo. Sorry...

No comments: