Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ayiti. Day 19.





Yesterday I posted, but only about the concert because it seemed to be the only thing on any of our minds around here! Yes, there was a certain level of excitement, but no one was particularly thrilled with the performers or their music, so quickly the house shaking all night long and diesel fumes coming into the house and giving headaches to many of us became the conversation rather than the excitement of having our very own backstage passes!

Anyways, yesterday morning began with a devotion with our team in which Tom went through the Salvation Diagram with everyone, but particularly for the team member that had prayed the night before to accept Jesus as her Savior! What a beautiful thing! To see the tears that she had over the sadness of her former life and the hope offered by Jesus...truly a miracle!

After that, the women on the team, with Ketura and a few of guys went to the Les Cayes Hospital to hand out onesies to the moms of the new babies and to give messages of hope to those moms and some of the other patients and families that we met.


Some of the babies that we visited were not newborns, but were sick. And the most difficult part of this visit for me was when the hospital staff told us that the 2 children were in front of us were abandoned...and hadn't eaten anything for awhile....They were clearly two children with special needs...and my heart broke for them. And immediately, as the tears were welling up in my eyes, this washed over me, "Yes, they have been left here, but I have not abandoned them, and I know the number of hairs on each of their precious heads." 

Oh, my friends! I hurt for a country where a parent with a child that has special needs has no ability to care for him or her...and, in fact, the country cannot care for these children either.

In my time in Haiti I have seen so much joy and hope, that sometimes I am ashamed of all that I have the the many times that I grumble. But, in that hospital yesterday, I did not see much joy or hope. We went through several different sections that had people of various ages and with differing illnesses or injuries. They did not appear to have hope, and these are the people that could afford to get to the hospital...

There are times that I allow the weight of all that I am seeing and experiencing to permeate the surface, and it weighs heavy. I have to allow our Father's words to me yesterday fill my heart more and more..."....I have not abandoned them, and I know the number of hairs on each of their precious heads." Please join me in praying, and if so moved, finding a way to continue to help these people of Haiti. They are precious in His sight, and we are called to be His hands and feet.

Yesterday afternoon we took the girls to Port Salut. It was nice for me to be able to take in the beauty of Haiti after the emotion of the morning. We swam, had dinner and stayed for sunset. Here are a couple of photos that remind us that He is here....



Have a peaceful evening and a wonderful first week of August!
kimberly

p.s. if you haven't read Adrianne's recent post about her time in Haiti, please take a few minutes to do so.

No comments: