Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ayiti. Day 35.

Well, this is it. (or was it.) Our last full day in Les Cayes/Torbeck. Tomorrow, a day before we actually leave Haiti, we drive to Port-au-Prince with Israelson to try to ship something from Haiti to Belgium, via FedEx. Since we have no idea how long this process will take (things that would seem to be quick, often take a long time here), and because we don't want to miss either the shipping, or our flight on Thursday, we are going tomorrow, taking care of the shipping and spending the night in a PaP hotel. Getting a room was a challenge, as the hotel business is booming in PaP with all of the NGO's in town to oversee whatever it is they are doing...

So I am so sad to say goodbye, but also now (since I HAVE to leave) looking forward to the next steps. 

Because I arrived in PaP with only 45 minute sleep in the previous 24 hours, I did not take any photos when I was there. I also thought I would get there another time between arriving and departing, but that didn't work out either. So, being there a day early allows me to see some things, and also for Israelson to show us the "nicer parts" of PaP...which he says are prevalent, but we never hear about in the U.S.

The photos below are from my last "work day" in Torbeck, which was yesterday. They have had a lot of rain, so our work on the gardens, which normally would have been delayed a day, were just more soggy.




 You can see that we had a captive audience on Leonie's porch as we measured and marked out the spaces for the raised beds. The kids are SO excited to begin to garden! Our measuring, marking, etc. became a bit of a challenge as we didn't have a square, and as we realized that the guest house and Leonie's house aren't quite perpendicular to each other...so which house do you make it even with?? Leonie's!...her gardens, and her view from the porch!

During all of this, I was still especially thankful I had made room for these:


However, after about 5 minutes in the water, I realized that my right boot had sprung a leak. Let me tell you...having your foot in a dark boot, filling with water, on a 100 degree day in Haiti, is not unlike having your foot in a microwave! (not that I've ever done that, or recommend that you try this at home...) It was HOT and uncomfortable.

So, when we were done, this is what I did...


And the boots are now in Les Cayes to be given to someone that will find a way to patch them...I will have to find another cute pair of rain boots when I am back in the U.S., I suppose. RIP whale boots...you served me well!

-------

This afternoon we took Leonie, Yelline, Israelson, Ziane, Warens, Dominic, TP,  Ziane, Veline, and some others to Port Salut for an afternoon on the beach, relaxing, and a nice dinner at the hotel there. We had a moment to thank them for their hard work and hospitality to us, their work with other mission teams, and the work and love that they provide for the children. It was a wonderful time, and there were not just a few tears shed....

On our way home, we stopped in Torbeck to drop off Leonie and to say goodbye to the kids. That was so hard. In fact, Ruth went into her room and on her bed and didn't want to come out because she said she was sad...but she did come out eventually....

We spoke to the kids and their caretakers, while Israelson translated. We told them that we love them so much...like we love our own kids...and even though we are leaving to go to Michigan, our hearts will stay with them. That we will pray for them each day, and that while we are in Michigan, we will be working to provide a better place for them...housing, a cafeteria, a safe place to play, and more. We told them that even though we will be physically far apart, our hearts will be together...

And, we told them to behave and do good in school...and for the caretakers to take good care of them while we are apart.

Then, there were big hugs all around. 

If I could bring them all home with me, I would. Seriously. Every last one of them. But, since I can't do that, the next best thing I can do is pray for them and work for them while I am in Michigan to have a better life here in Haiti. 

And...

I when I return to Haiti, hopefully soon, our reunion will be all the sweeter....

P.S. some of the girls showed me their knitting tonight and they are doing a GREAT job! We need to get them some more cotton yarn and some patterns....they love it!

Goodnight, my last night in Les Cayes...

No comments: