Sunday, October 24, 2010

Doing laundry...


Today I am sitting here while I have the most perfect batch off cookies in the oven. When my mom asked me to write about responsibilities or things I have found useful in my college career I honestly had no idea what to write on. But, then it came to me. I am a Resident Assistant [someone who looks over a floor in a Res Hall to make sure everyone is safe and following the rules, also someone to help create community and someone people can talk to about any issues] to over 200 people and I have some great insight on how my life is different from so many others.

Growing up, my mother always made us do our laundry and pack our own lunches. I tell people she has made us do that since Second Grade but that might just be an exaggeration. In a college community, knowing how to do laundry is a GREAT asset. I have seen dozens of freshman not know how to do laundry so I, or others, end up having to teach a group. It is incredibly useful to be able to do your own laundry. Another great thing that I was taught growing up was how to eat healthy. One might think, "If I talk to my son or daughter about eating the right things then they will be fine when they go to school". But to be honest, if you are not feeding your child the right kinds of foods growing up then they will have no idea how to stay healthy on their own. I was fortunate enough not to gain the 'freshman 15' but, I know so many of my residents that have already gained weight in 2 months because at our cafeteria there is always ice cream, cookies, and cake available. One can eat how ever much they want and there is no one to tell them no. If you instill on someone at a young age that eating healthy is important, it is less likely they will have an issue when they are on their own.

I think one of the most important skills to know when going away to college is knowing what your morals and boundaries are. I was lucky to have such strong parents that taught me right from wrong. But, I know many people that do not have those values. I have been able to keep a good head on my shoulders and make smart decisions for almost 2.5 years of school.

Something else that has been very useful for me is knowing how to cook/baking. Hanging out in a kitchen eating good food brings people together like you wouldn't believe. Especially college students. I bake at least once a week and I always have tons of people in and out of the kitchen asking if they can have some of what I made or just hanging out and talking. It really is a great way to get to know people.

I never really thought about how much what my mom has taught me has really affected how I live my day to day life. Everything I do correlates back to how she raised me and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, she was very strict but everything I learned from her has made me the person I am. Being strict really does work. But, don't be overly strict! Having skills that my mom taught me from when I was young has really helped me succeed at college. I can never thank her enough for all that she has done for me!

1 comment:

Kara said...

Stephani what an amazing testimonial of how great your mom is!! I hope someday my daughter will say such wonderful things about me!