Saturday, February 20, 2010

Scripture memory verse, week 4


2-21-10
Hello fellow daughters of the King (aka princesses!)…
I pray that you have had a wonderful week and have enjoyed the sunshine (at least here in Michigan) the past two days! It is has been a beautiful sign of things to come, even if we know it’s still too far off to really think about. I’ve been wondering these past two days how it is for our friends from Haiti, never really warming up…God was gracious with this weather for them as a welcome, but it is still quite a change from their life.
Yesterday I was telling Leonie to enjoy the sun while it was out because it doesn’t shine very often in the winter here. She said, “It’s ok. Haiti was really getting to be too hot.” Now that’s a positive way to look at dressing in 4 or 5 layers, isn’t it??
We are having a wonderful time, as you can tell from my last post. To have these dear women of God in my home, not to mention these precious babies is such a blessing. (The dogs aren’t enjoying it too much, as Stephane seems to be terrified of dogs…Gregory just seems to scream because his big brother is unhappy….we are doing slow introductions, but for now, the dogs are just seeing a lot of the bedroom, the backyard and the dog park!)
So how are your memory verses coming along? You know…you can reply or comment to this blog…many of you make comments or email me about what I’ve written, but if you’d consider sharing a comment or two here, we just might create more of a community…
I know for me, I practice my verses on my way to work in the morning. It’s been a great way for me to start the day, and three verses really hasn’t been that challenging…I have a feeling that more practice will be needed as we add more verses. So, how’s it going for you? Easy? Challenging? Any stories to share of how and when God has used these verses in your life yet?
Just wondering…
This week’s verse is:
“Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
Nehemiah 8:10
This verse comes to mind now as I think of the people of Haiti…while my friends did not lose anyone in their immediate family that I am aware of, they were not untouched by the death and destruction of the earthquake. They have had to relocate everything…moving the orphans to a new location where the orphanage needs to be completely built…traveling back to LesCayes in the evening to guard their belongings still remaining in the now unsafe orphanage and house that they used to reside in, but sleeping at night in tents in the refugee camp next door…and the rains have come to Haiti now….leaky tents, mud all around…no restrooms…children still wandering the streets of Port-au-Prince, alone, with no one caring for them.
While the U.S. media seems to have moved onto other topics…the Olympics, Tiger Woods apologizing…life as it is the new reality continues for the people of Haiti.
As I think of them, singing praises to their Lord in the streets only moments after the earthquake and everyday since, this verse comes to mind. We each have things that we grieve…losing a loved one…or a child. A romance that isn’t quite at romantic as it used to be…a childhood that never was…A job lost, or a job that is only that…a job, but not a passion. Yes, we all have things that we grieve, but can any of us imagine the reality of the grief of Haiti? I don’t think so…yet the people there sing praises to their God in the midst of their grief.
So, my fellow princesses…I invite you to sing..in the shower, in the car, with your kids…at your place of worship. But I also invite you to increase your singing…have you noticed that you can’t sing and stay in a bad mood? There’s something to that…the dear children of the Lord in Haiti know that. It’s part of what’s getting them through this, but all throughout their difficult history…the singing leads to joy, and the joy of the Lord is their strength.
Blessings on your week….
kimberly

No comments: