Thursday, February 11, 2010

you mean, me????

This morning, I had the awesome privilege of speaking to a MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group at my home church. The topic? Keeping romance alive after you have kids...
I asked the women that asked me, (more than once), if they were sure they have the right person, and they insisted that they did. I then responded with, "you understand that i am sinful, don't do this very well, and have made many mistakes?" and they said that they did, and to proceed...
I procrastinated for quite awhile before working on this presentation. Then, I started to just type out my thoughts, verbatim as I worked through it a week or so ago. It was interesting for me to give this some thought and to travel down memory lane a little. As i did, I thought of my girls when they were little...here's a photo:
This is Kati, waking up the first morning that her twin sisters were home from the hospital...they were 6 days old at the time, and each weighed about 5 lbs. She was pretty happy for a not quite 2-1/2 year old...! (And SO much beautiful hair!)
I asked those moms this morning about their relationship issues and felt so at home with their responses...it seems like just yesterday that I was in their shoes....
I spoke to them about my first marriage and the issues with it...most of which couldn't be prevented with a spouse that had so many issues that he wasn't able or willing to address. God was so present during those difficult years, and is still present now. He has been so faithful!
Then, I spoke with the women about my wonderful, wonderful husband, Tom, and shared with them a photo from our wedding...

I shared that NO, I am not wearing white face paint...I woke up at 2 am the morning of our wedding with the stomach flu, of course shared from children! I was in bed until our late afternoon wedding...started the service standing up, but needed to sit down before it was over. I certainly don't look healthy here, but I look happy, and I was...soooo happy to be marrying the man that shared my goals and dreams for the future! My only regret from that day is that I was sick and I would have had so much FUN at the wedding and reception if I hadn't been ill. Ah, well...it makes for great stories...my bridesmaids talking about how my (now) husband greeted them that day....and how they did my hair and my makeup while I was flat on my back. I figure that looking pale is infinitely better than the true shade of green that I was feeling!
Anyways, I feel that I shared my heart with those moms this morning...that being a mom of young children is hard work...that trying to be an attractive, loving wife is also difficult when we are so tired, lonely and overwhelmed....or bored...or insecure....or all of the above.
I recommended Beth Moore's newest book to them. I've just started it, and as I told the moms...there is something there...a truth that we don't often deal with. Her book is entitled, "So Long Insecurity: You've Been a Bad Friend to Us." I suggest you read it...even if you don't feel insecure. There seem to be many truths particular to women in it, described as only wonderful Beth can do!
So, in the end, women...hang in there! Love your man, and make some time for him. God intended it that way, and as I told the moms this morning, it's much easier to maintain a relationship than try to repair one that is hurting.
You are a princess...royalty...a daughter of the King. Ponder that as you close your eyes this evening.

No comments: