Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Haiti. Day 1.

This won't be a long post, seeing as I got 45 minutes of sleep last night due to a delayed flight out of Detroit and an early flight this morning. I tried to sleep a little on our 140 mile, 7 hour trip to Les Cayes, but if you can imagine 7 hours on the worst Oakland County dirt roads in the spring, you will begin to get an idea of what the ride was like. Not much sleeping was possible...
Fun things...a gentleman that heard Julie playing guitar in the Detroit airport struck up a conversation with them about guitars and what they were doing on their trip. Because of our 2.5 hour delays, he was able to keep finding reasons to come and talk to them and eventually me. On one of those trips over to talk to us, he asked for the address for Firmly Rooted (our ministry) because he had decided to send us his guitar to get to Haiti for the orphans to learn on, and to "give them something new, special, and to give them hope." After our flight arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at 12:15 am, he found us at baggage claim and made sure that we could get a shuttle to our hotel. I'm thinking he was guardian angel 2...some of you know the story of GA1. If you don't, another time...


When we arrived in Port-au-Prince, it was a more stressful part of our trip due to the crime in PaP and around the airport. We three girls were trying manage our 50 lb bags, carry ons, and cameras, while getting josted by crowds and trying to stick together. When we got into the long line for Immigration (also a little stressful), I happened to scan the many lines and saw a young man with a Habitat for Humanity luggage tag on his backpack. The girls saved my place in line and I headed over to say hello. I believe his name was Chris (rather chaotic environment) and he was arriving from Habitat International to help in the rebuilding effort, into September, he thought. He was very nice and invited our family to see the HFHI headquarters here if we had a chance. We said goodbye, but then I saw him on the other side of Customs and he called me over to make sure that we would be ok outside the airport, and that we had a ride. He was so considerate and nice. I'm thinking perhaps a short term GA3. 


After a little while and confusion, we met up with Tom, Israelson and Antoine. We were quickly informed that we had to get the car fixed. Israelson pulled over very close to the airport, next to a HUGE tent city (the first of many I would see today), and across the street from the Haitian version of NAPA Auto Parts. Due to the extreme heat, we had fun crossing 2 directions of many chaotic lanes of Haiti traffic. We stopped at a very narrow median in between lanes of traffic, which made me extremely grateful I had lost all that weight this year! Whew! Each car/truck seemed to be within mere inches of us!


Here is the view of the truck (hood up) and just a small portion of the tent city:
this was our view from the shade of the auto store.

And while we were waiting, some children from the tent city walked by to get water from the well. Adrianne and Julie waived at them and greeted them in Creole. As they came back they were laughing, waving and speaking to the girls. Then, they found a spot from the tent city where they could laugh at the girls and ask them to come across the road to visit:
they were so cute, and it was a bright spot for all of us!

Another bright spot while we were there (besides the restroom, which I found especially helpful), was the group of Haitian men that greeted us and asked what we were doing there. We spoke a little bit about our plans and one young man said, 

"God bless you for coming to Haiti. More people need to come here and see what life is like for us so that we can develop a community with the world and help 
the people of Haiti. We don't want to live like this." 

They all thanked and blessed us several times...it was very encouraging for us.

After the truck repair, we continued on our way. I found that I couldn't take anymore photos today because it felt so intrusive to me. I constantly have to remind myself that I am just a passenger in a car driving by, and sometimes I gasp at what I see. But, I continue driving and their hard life doesn't change like my view changes. There is a stark reality in that...

I saw many things that I will photograph in my weeks here. Signs of despair and some signs of hope. The thing that I know for sure now is that nothing is changing here very quickly. The photo opportunities will remain...

Thanks for your prayers! By the way, we just had our first evening family devotion with the Isidor family. If you'd like to study with us, Tom has chosen Colossions 3:12-17 for us to study for a few days. We read the entire selection tonight, but will focus on a verse an evening. From verse 12: there are many dynamics here now - Stephane & Gregory are in NY instead of with their mom and dad, being well cared for, but still missed; orphans in Torbeck, but not the way they should be; we have taken over the Isidor's home and they have all changed rooms because of us; constant vehicle trouble, etc. But the thing that helps us to make sense in these times is knowing that we have been called by Christ and are serving Him together. We are holy and dearly loved by Him, and because of that we can put on the heart of Jesus and be kind, humble and patient to others. And, the Donnelly/Schmidt family keeps returning to Haiti for the past 9 years because of the love of Christ Jesus that we see demonstrated to each other and the community by them.

More tomorrow...blessings to you as you rest this evening.
kimberly



No comments: