Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Haiti. Day 8.

This morning we headed out to Torbeck for the second day of VBS, and more moving of the rock.  Here are lovely photos of the rock movers.
(I told Tom how lucky he was to be able to take his shirt off!)


And after 2 days and about 5 hours of work, we had the first pile just about done!

You will notice (perhaps) that there are still some large rocks left where our pile had been. When I asked Tom about those he said, "Those are big. They will require 2 people to move them." I am thinking that in that particular equation, I am not considered 1  full person, and that's ok with me!

This afternoon, Israelson, Tom, Adrianne and Julie went to Carrfour to deliver the clothing and shoes that we had sorted the other day. They met Pastor Jean Claude at a storage building that he has, and gave him the items to distribute to those in need. We noticed at church on Sunday that there were about 8-10 children that just hung around outside the church during the service. They watched and listened when we went out on the church steps after the service and were singing some praise songs. One little boy about 7 years old was only wearing 1/2 of a jersey shirt, and nothing on the bottom. He wanted to be by use, but kept hiding behind a tree, post, or other children. These children (or at least some of them) would not come into the church because it is not culturally acceptable for them to come unless they are dressed in nice clothing. It's like Easter dress every Sunday in Haiti. It makes me sad that they don't feel that they can come in, but at the same time, I don't know how to change a culture, but only do things with them outside the church as we did, or invite them to things like VBS as we have done in the past.

While they were all away, I met with my first group of knitters! It was a small group because, as Leonie explained, it was not only raining, but a woman in the group had just found out her son-in-law had died, and they were all in mourning. But, with those that were there, a good time was had:

Warens joined in because he does many handicrafts and was already thinking about what he could make and sell. Smart young man!

Well, this is enough for today, I think. In our evening devotions we are studying Psalm 139, which is awesome. Tonight I will go to sleep thinking about verse 6, the part about how, "such knowledge is too wonderful for me, I cannot attain it."

Tomorrow we are having a birthday party for Sarah, one of the orphans! Tomorrow is her 10th birthday. We are going to play games and have a cookout, and instead of a cake, Adrianne and Julie are going to make a birthday crown for her to wear. Should be a great time!

Blessings and peaceful rest to you this evening, my friends. Thanks for the prayers!

No comments: