Saturday, July 24, 2010

Haiti. Day 12.

Today began with a quiet morning, which was nice. I did some laundry, got caught up on some reading as well as some computer things that I have been working on. It was cloudy all day, but no rain, and the clouds seemed to keep the temperature a little lower. I think it was probably only in the low 90s, but I haven't checked. Tomorrow it is supposed to be up to 100 again.

At about 10:30 am, Ketura, Israelson, Adrianne, Julie, Warens and I headed out to Torbeck. The girls just hung out with the kids, Israelson dropped us off and ran some errands, and the rest of us did brief health check ups of the kids. I was the record keeper, and we established charts for them based on today's information. We took their temperature, pulse, respiration rate, Ketura listened to their lungs, checked their eyes, ears, nose and throat, did a visual check of their scalp and skin, and we weighed them. It took us about 2 hours to do all the girls. 






We then went back to Les Cayes, had lunch and headed back to Torbeck to do the boys. (We didn't realize how long it was going to take, or else we would have packed a lunch.)


And, as Moise was waiting for his turn, I was playing with him and Samuel. We were saying each other's names, and then I poked Moise in the tummy and said, "Elmo!" and he made this face, which looks remarkably like Elmo!

I have to say that I am continually so blessed and amazed and impressed by the love of Jesus that the Isidor family shows for these children. I know that I'm not an expert by any means, but I have to tell you from my experience, these children, boys and girls, are so well developed, happy, and that they feel loved! They would not be able to over time continue to show so much unconditional love and pure care and concern for others if they were not unconditionally loved and cared for each and every day. What a blessing this family (every member of it) has been in the lives of these children.

I am so thankful to be a part of this...

2 comments:

mark rychel said...

Awesome! God bless you. I was thinking about how easy it is to fall in love with the children in Haiti.they give you so much with their smiles and warmth. It is also easy for me to bask in those smiles and put the hard work necessary to Improvr their condition in the back of my mind. Thank you ,in the name of our Lord for your work and inspiration.

Mark

~ kimberly said...

mark, thank you for your words, and you are right. it's easy for us to love on them while we are around them, but leave it at that....
i hope and pray that i can somehow, by the grace of God, make a dent in the work that needs to be done on their behalf. i want to become an advocate for them and help them flourish in all areas of their lives.